Ball valves are essential instruments in all types of industries that require to allow the passage or control of any type of fluids, whether liquid, gas or solid (such as flour, lime or cement), to perform from services to finished products, efficiently.
This equipment has had a significant impact on the productivity and safety of industrial lines, not only due to their capacity and operating benefits, but also due to their great application versatility thanks to their distinctive designs and materials.
Next, in this blog, we will tell you more about the anatomy of a ball valve, as well as the main characteristics that make this equipment one of the best positioned and most used on the market.
The ball valve has 7 essential parts that make up its structure:
1. Body and cover: Pressure retaining parts are the container for the internal parts of the Valves.
2. Ball: Element positioned in the flow passage that allows or prevents flow within the line, through a 90º turn on an axis perpendicular to the flow direction.
3. Stem: Element that drives the ball.
4. Handle: Lever that allows the ball to be operated through the stem.
5. Seats: Components of different materials placed to hold the ball between the sealing surfaces of the same seat, thus allowing the hermetic closure of the fluid.
6. Body seals: Elements that prevent leakage to the outside between the body and the valve cover. They can be made of various materials.
7. Stem Seals: Sealing elements placed between the valve body and the stem to prevent leakage to the outside. They can be made of various materials.
Ball valves and their characteristics
This type of industrial valve is mainly characterized by its on / off function at 90º or ¼ turn, which greatly reduces its operating torque. Its distinctive perforated ball functions as an internal control mechanism, since, by means of the inlet pressure of the fluid, this is pushed towards the back of the seat, thus allowing a seal without leaks.
Furthermore, ball valves are fully automatable for process optimization and require very little maintenance.
The application of ball valves is very versatile thanks to the great variety and availability of materials with which they can be manufactured; they stand out among them.
- Carbon steel, stainless steel and brass for the material of the body and internals.
- PTFE, R-PTFE, Multifil, PTFE + INOX, Peek, DELRIN, among other special materials for seats.
- R-PTFE, Multifil, PTFE + INOX, VITON among other special materials for the body seals.
Your strategic quality ally
Valves Worcester de México in partnership with Cotter Marketing Ltd, are a company with the highest quality standards, in reference to the design, manufacture and marketing of ball valves, thus providing the most cutting-edge solutions, durability and technology, in the hands of a team of experts, specialized in satisfying the most specific needs of our clients.
Get in touch with us to learn more about our wide variety of products and after-sales services that will allow you to grow your business.